Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I got Seoul but I'm not a Soldier

After leaving Gyeongju we arrived in Seoul on Sunday evening. First thing's first, it's time for dinner! Enter Korean snack chain 김밥천국 (kimbap cheonguk)! Kimbap, ramyeon, teokkbokki, manduguk and some kimchi. Yum!

Doug has mastered the art of chopsticks!
Yum!
The next day, we attended the Seoul University Forum. I don't have pictures yet from the forum. When I get them, I'll make a special post just for it. But not to leave you on a cliffhanger, it went really well!

The day was completely different for Christina. She wandered around Namdaemun Market and found her way to the Godabang Cat Cafe! This place lets you sit and have a drink in a cafe filled with cats. You can feed and play with them. Yep, whatever you want to do, you can do it in Asia!

Cat Cafe

After the event ended, we returned to the hotel and me and my sister went for a walk in Myeongdong and up to Cheongyecheon Stream. Seoul is so lively! 

Myeongdong shopping/nightlife area
Cheongyecheon
Our night was cut short by rain. The rain stuck around all day Tuesday as well, but we didn't let that stop us. First thing Tuesday morning, Tom, Doug and I met with some transportation officials with the Seoul City Government in the new city hall building. The meeting was very interesting and the building itself was amazing. It generates 30% of its own electricity using solar and geothermal energy. It has a huge community center with a museum in the lower level. 

Seoul City Hall green wall
Seoul City Hall Community Center
Old and new City Hall

After the meeting, Doug, Tom, Christina and I visited some of the main sights of Seoul. Before that, we had some lunch of Korean BBQ and ribs! After lunch, first up was Changdeokgung. We toured the grounds and the secret gardens. We also stopped by the Buddhist temple Jogyesa and Insadong Street. 

Today's sightseeing brought to you by the adorable Jongno bell-monster thingy. Go home Asia, you're drunk!
Changdeokgung Throne Room
Secret Gardens
This group of Japanese tourists never got the timing right...but look at their faces! :)
Seoul is so lush!
Jogyesa
Happy Buddha
Insadong Shopping Area

After the whirlwind tour, we went back to the hotel for some R&R before dinner. I got to sample some 팥빙수 (patbingsu). It's shaved ice with condensed milk and toppings. It comes in many varieties. Mine had red beans and 떡 (tteok - rice cake/tubes). Delicious! I'm going to get fat here...I do like how different foods are in Korea based on the time of year. Many things I've seen this trip are different than in the fall. 

팥빙수 (patbingsu) - Don't judge...it's 90% water! I swear!


No comments:

Post a Comment