Thursday, September 30, 2021

Eighteen Hours in Myrtle Beach

In late September I (Paul) took a quick trip to Myrtle Beach to get some coaster credits. Myrtle Beach isn't that far from Atlanta - less than a six hour drive - but I had never been and I was especially eager to ride the classic Swamp Fox wooden coaster. So I left Atlanta on a Saturday morning and arrived in the early afternoon. It was a beautiful day, sunny with temperatures in the low 80s. I had three small parks to visit, for a total of four roller coasters.

First stop - Pavilion Park.
Quick credit run on the adorably named Myrtle Turtle!
Second stop - Funplex. I rode the unique "Fun in the Sun" coaster.
Funplex is one block from the beach.
Myrtle Beach was much nicer than I expected.
A short pier with great views.


After riding the two small coasters at the two little parks, I checked in to my hotel and relaxed for just a bit before heading to the biggest park of the trip, Family Kindgom, which didn't open until 6PM. Like many classic seaside parks, it's usually only open in the evening, and many families visit after spending a day at the beach. I arrived shortly before opening, and quickly got a ride on the 1966 wooden coaster, Swamp Fox. It's a very fun ride, with great airtime and sweeping views of the ocean and the park. Unfortunately its a bit rough, and could use some track work. I wouldn't want to ride it many times sitting toward the back of the train. Overall Family Kingdom is a nice little park. It has a variety of rides. Besides Swamp Fox the other standout ride was Pistolero Roundup, a short indoor Mexican-themed shooting ride. I got in plenty of rides before the park started to get quite busy after sunset. I got a final front seat night time ride on Swamp Fox before leaving back to my hotel.


View from my hotel, on the intracoastal waterway. Yes, that's a pirate ship at the dock!
The unique shooting ride at Family Kinddom.
The kiddie coaster has a strict no-adults policy, and a definitely super unapproved Speedy Gonzalez painting.
The first drop on Swamp Fox.
Lots of classic rides.
The log flume has a little bonus speed hill!
A small stream/canal runs right through the park.
Wheeee!
Swamp Fox's turnaround and the car ride.
The park looks great at night.

The next day I woke up early and started back toward Atlanta. Rather than driving straight back, I briefly stopped at a few of the towns and cities along the way.

Sunrise from my hotel.
The first stop was Florence, South Carolina - which didn't have much going on.
Columbia was the next stop. This is a part of an African American monument in front of the capitol.
The state capitol building is impressive.
Downtown Columbia is pretty nice.
I love this monument from 1854, the "Palmetto Regiment Monument" dedicated to the Mexican-American war. 
It's a really unique looking monument.
Next stop was August, Georgia, where the Ironman race was taking place.
Uhhh... OK. We're in the South.
Downtown Augusta has some great architecture.
Miller Theatre and the Ironman.
Skyscrapers and monuments.
A big abandoned religious building. Downtown Augusta has nice bones but could use some refurbishment and new residents and businesses.
Another impressive house in downtown.
My final stop was Covington, not too far outside Atlanta. This is the old courthouse.
This restaurant and shop is apparently from the "Vampire Diaries" TV show.
A nice new mural.
Downtown is small but cute.

This was a short weekend trip, but a great chance to ride some roller coasters and see a few cities. Swamp Fox isn't well known in the coaster community, but more people should make the trip to ride it!

No comments:

Post a Comment