Sunday, July 28, 2024

Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head!

This week I had a work trip to Detroit for a conference. I haven't been to Detroit in over a decade, so I was excited to spend time there. While I was busy with the conference during the day, in the evenings I got to explore a bit and have dinner with my colleagues. Downtown Detroit has really improved, and I made good use of the free transit as well (streetcar and people mover). This won't be a full post, just some pictures. But there will be a soundtrack! Sufjan Steven's "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)" from the Michigan album:


Downtown Detroit has incredible early 20th century architecture.


A nice little plaza.

Architectural details.

Michigan's 2nd tallest building under construction.

View of Windsor, Canada from the convention center.

The Spirit of Detroit.

The spectacular lobby of the Guardian building.

Inside the Guardian building.

Beach party? Why not!

More architectural details.

Excellent dinner at Baobab Fare.

Cool arches.

Conference time!

Dinner at Selden Standard, with an open flame kitchen.

They had some fantastic veggie dishes.

Drink by the wood burning oven.

Yes, this is Detroit! See you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment